Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Sing Me a Song, You're the Pianoman

I've always wanted to be a musician.
There, I said it. I've been singing since I was a little kid, and thankfully, I got a decent set of low pipes from Dad and the ear to use them from Mom. I've gone to school and focused on my studies, obviously, but the one thing I've wanted to do more than anything else is get up in front of people and belt out a tune. (Hopefully these people are listening by choice, but I am not above taking auditory hostages).

That said, I've spent the better part of the last decade dicking around. Oh, I'm not talented enough on the guitar. Oh, I don't have a band. Oh, I can't because of this or that or the other--

SHUT UP!

I came to the realization a year ago that none of those excuses matter. I resolved to have ten songs written and finalized by this past New Years Eve- I decided on 10 as my target number at some point along the way.
As of January 1st, I had 3.
To be fair, some of this delay was because I was learning my recording software. But also to be fair, I screwed off between February and October of last year. But no more.

Inspired by these people, who've collaborated to write a beginner's guide to getting a book published, I decided one of the things I could write about on this blog o' mine would be the process of getting music published, as learned through trial and error. We'll see how this goes- but first, it'll be progress updates on the writing.
That said!
Currently, I have four songs of mine on my phone. Three of them are being re-mixed, since the old computer I recorded them on was old and feeble and had to have this monstrous, noisy fan to even run Notepad, and so some of my music has this really obnoxious wrrrrrrrrrrrrrr going on in the background, like Newt Gingrich died and reincarnated as an Nvidia cooling system, waxing poetic about how he wants to build a base on the moon to escape the capitalism-killing evils of dust bunnies.

My new target is to have all 10 songs done by April 1st (no joke). Not counting the abovementioned 4, I have 3 that are mostly written (but I'm unsure if they're good enough to use) and 4 which are still just a few lines long.

And just to keep a running tab...


  • Oathbreaker- Waiting to be re-recorded
  • Human/Nature- Waiting to be re-recorded
  • Trouble- Currently (re)-recording
  • Darcy- Finished

No comments:

Post a Comment